5 Health & Wellness Tips for Spring
Spring is the season for new beginnings. That includes new, healthy habits to give your mind, body and soul the lift it needs to shake off the winter blues.
- 1 Sep 2023
So, if you’re entering your *healthy girl era*, you’ve come to the right place. Below, we share our top wellness tips to help you reach your goals and achieve a healthy mind, body and soul – whatever that looks like for you.
But first, what is a wellness goal?
Just like a financial or professional goal, wellness goals are milestones we work towards over time to help us achieve a certain outcome. Your goal might be to meditate every day for a month or to run a marathon. Whatever it is, it will require commitment and dedication, but the benefits are so worth it.
Still deciding on your wellness goals? Or maybe you need a little push to help you stay on track? Here are five rewarding ways to support your health and wellness this spring.
Grow your mind: podcasts
On a walk, a long drive or a quiet day at home – podcasts are the perfect companion. There’s been an explosion of great podcast content hitting the streaming world in recent years, and a whole heap of it is focused on self-care and self-improvement.
When we need a pick me up, a surge of motivation or a stirring conversation, we’re always reaching for our headphones to listen to the latest episode of our favourite wellness podcasts. Here are a few to add to your downloads.
Podcasts to check out:
- On Purpose with Jay Shetty
- The Rise & Conquer Podcast with Geogie Stevenson
- Maintenance Phase with Aubrey Gordon and Michael Hobbes
- Unlocking Us with Brené Brown
- The Imperfects with Hugh van Cuylenburg, Ryan Shelton & Josh van Cuylenburg
Listen to your favourite podcasts:
Jabra Elite Wireless Headphones
Bose QuietComfort Headphones
Sleepwell Bluetooth Headphone
JBL Endurance Peak 3 Headphones
Feed your creativity: books
Reading has always been a rich and rewarding way to feed the mind. Even if you only read a few pages a night, the benefits of reading are well-documented. It can improve brain connectivity, increase your vocabulary, reduce stress and help your mind wind down before sleep.
Whether you’re into fact or fiction, building a habit of reading can be super beneficial for your mind and soul. And it’s the perfect way to start or end a good day.
Here are a few good reads to sink your teeth into.
How Not to Die by Michael Greger
Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker
Atomic Habits by James Clear
The Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking
Really Good, Actually by Monica Heisey
Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
Consciously consume content: social media
We’ve all fallen ill to the social media doom scroll. A quick peek at our newsfeeds becomes hours of lost time that could’ve been spent on something more enriching.
We’ll level with you, spending a few moments catching up on the latest posts and trends can be a nice escape from an otherwise busy or boring day, but it doesn't have to be lost time. Curating your social media feed can help you make the most of your screen time.
Consider culling the negative people from your follow list and pepper in a few inspirational characters to bring a little joy, inspiration and wisdom to your next scroll sesh.
Social media accounts to follow:
- @kat.john – Authenticity coach Kat John shares relatable stories and genuinely motivational advice without the fluff
- @tamepunk – 2021 Australian of the Year Grace Tame educates and advocates for the end of sexual violence
- @chopra – Founded by meditation guru Deepak Chopra, follow to learn about the amazing health benefits of meditation
- @nude_nutritionist – Nutrition consultant and media dietitian, Lyndi Polivnick, shares healthy eating tips and recipes
- @jayshetty – Everyone’s favourite monk, Jay Shetty shares the small changes you can make to improve your health, relationships and happiness.
Nurture your soul: movies and tv series
Nothing nurtures the soul like a great story. And there are certainly plenty to choose from. From heart-wrenching tales of overcoming adversity to binge-worthy shows to help you wind down at the end of a long day, here’s what’s on our must-watch list.
Movies to check out:
- Brittany Runs a Marathon – A hilarious and uplifting film that will make you dust off your running shoes
- Everything Everywhere All at Once – “An expertly calibrated assault on the senses”
- LION – A heart-wrenching story about finding your way home
- The Truman Show – An oldie but a goodie that will have you rooting for the main character right to the end
- Hidden Figures – An incredible true story based on the contributions of three brilliant African American women at NASA
TV series to check out:
- Schitt’s Creek – An easy watch that will make your heart happy
- Queer Eye – An uplifting show that will have you in tears for all the right reasons
- Ted Lasso – One of those heartwarming TV shows you’ll come back to again and again
- Parks and Recreation – A cult classic that will make you want to run for local government
- Old Enough – An adorable tale of little kids running grown up errands
Watch your favourite movies and shows:
Samsung Q70C 4K TV
Apple iPad 10
Apple Mackbook Pro
Samsung Galaxy Tab A7
Find joy in movement: online workouts
We don’t all have the time, money or motivation to hit the gym every day. But that doesn’t mean we can’t find fun, meaningful ways to move our bodies. One silver lining that came from Covid was the influx of fitness content on the internet.
It’s now easier than ever to find free workout videos online that will keep you fit and even put a smile on your face at the same time. From dance workouts to mindful yoga flows, here are a few to try for your next workout.
Online workouts to try:
- Blogilates with Cassey Ho – Fun pilates workouts with great music and zero equipment
- Dance FitSugar – High-energy dance workouts that will get your heart racing
- Yoga with Adriene – Step-by-step yoga tutorials from beginners to advanced
- Juice and Toya – Quick HIIT workouts to sweat it out fast
- Les Mills – An online fitness program with everything from strength training to aerobics
Stay Grounded Tee
Align High-Rise Short
The Mat 5mm Wordmark
Small changes can make a huge difference over time, and these simple wellness tips will help you turn a good day into a good life – as long as you stick with them.
Kickstart your health and wellness journey at Sunshine Plaza this spring - Show Now.